Monday, August 18, 2008

17th Anniversary!

My husband and I celebrated our 17th anniversary yesterday. With the sick child that had to be kept home from church and his job, which is overwhelmingly busy these days and caused him to have to go to work in the afternoon, we actually didn't see much of each other for most of the day.
We did get a babysitter to come over in the evening and managed to get away for dinner and a movie though which was wonderful! We went to dinner at a place I have been wanting to try (Nagasaki Inn) and to see a movie we have been wanting to see and were afraid would make it out of the theater before got to see it (Prince Caspian). It was a great date night! Probably made better by the fact that I think it has been about a year since our last 'date night'! We really do need to do that more often!
So 17 years! I was telling someone the other day, that we don't really have big fights anymore. Just small spats. Usually they stem from the fact that most of the time we can almost read each others minds, but occasionally when we try, we fail. And then we are misunderstood. And then we spat! But I wouldn't trade that for anything in the world! To be understood and to understand another person even most of the time is a wonderful thing.
I was listening to a podcast on marriage the other day. Apparently there is new term out there to try to explain the high divorce rate in this country: Starter marriages - you get married young and when you out-grow the first husband, you get a bigger and better second husband. Yikes! That is just frightening to me.
But the really interesting thing about this talk was when the guy asked the question: on a scale of 1-10, what is your commitment to your marriage? My immediate response was 10! After 17 years, I can't imagine life without my husband. I am always saying to my girlfriend: "You and I got 2 of the good ones!" My husband is definitely one of the good ones. He is faithful and kind. He is loving and fun to be around. He is a good father and a good provider. He always takes our family's needs into account when making any decision and will work harder and longer to make sure that we have what we need (even, and especially hard, time). He drives me crazy sometimes and I love that I know how and when he is going to do that!
I love him and I look forward to the next 17 years!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

He drives me crazy, too, ;-) but still...
Many, many, many years to you both!!
Love you! Mary

Anonymous said...

God grant you many years! Congratulations.

My sister in law (brother's wife) and I had an actual tiny tiff one time about who had the Best Husband In The World. We finally had to agree that she had the best one under [a certain age] and I had the best one over [a certain age]!