Tuesday, August 19, 2008

First Day of Class

Today I taught my first day of class for this school year. It is always nerve-racking! Every year, no matter how many times I have taught the class before. I don't sleep well the night before and the butterflies in my stomach going into class are big enough to fly several hundred people across the Atlantic! I don't even want to know what my blood pressure was this morning about 10:00am!

It was interesting to me coming out of that class though how many things don't change from one year to the next. Every class has what I call the 'answerer' - the person who always raises their hand with an answer for whatever the question might be. And there are the quiet ones (usually more than one) who sit there and never give you any feedback at all. Every once in a while you see a look of interest or a nod, but they never answer any questions.
And in my subject field everyone falls into two catagories: the scared and the bored. The 'scared' are afraid it is going to be hard and not even close to accomplish-able. (How I love to disprove them!) The 'bored' are confident in their abilities in the subject and just really don't think they need to be there. (A much smaller catagory in my field and obnoxious to have in class!)


All in all, I am glad the first day is behind me.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I always have dreams starting a few days before classes: Can't find the classroom, am late, can't remember the topic, students are totally non-compliant, etc. So I feel your pain!!

Laura said...

I normally have those kinds of dreams each year too, but oddly enough, I haven't this year.
Actually, until 2 years ago, I was still the student in my dreams, even though I had been teaching for several years!